Friday, August 18, 2006

Goodbye Blackberry Way ...*

Quick! Fetch the punnet! No, not the pun net .. the punnet! The bumper crop of excellent blackberries ain't going to last long in this weather!

The point, if it's possible to extract one amongst all this punctuation, is that the track from round t'corner across the neighbouring farmland is lined with blackberry bushes groaning under the weight of an impressive harvest-in-waiting. The kids love it. Yesterday after work - when we were walking the dog - they gathered two great handfulls each and ended up smeared in reddish juice and full of fresh fruit. We keep meaning to make a backberry-and-apple-crumble, but haven't quite managed it - yet.

... Sure to want me back another day

* well, not exactly goodbye .. but it's the only song I could think of with "blackberry" in. Yes, I know Google would have found me "Blackberry" by the Black Crowes, but I didn't think of that one .. which is a pity 'cos that fits the post better.

what? it's a perfectly good word for the purpose .. though I can't find its etymology right now. Go read a dictionary. Then tell me.

No comments: