Thursday, July 20, 2006

Morning has broken ...

Ah, blessed rain! The ride to work this morning was GREAT.

I have no particular topic in mind at present - so this will be a kind of stream-of-consciousness posting.

I once heard that the Irish writing style is no successful and so distinctive because of the tradition of rambling, stream-of-consciousness conversations which typically happen between Irish people. Often in the pub.

There's a great (apocryphal?) tale about Brendan Behan, who was employed by Guinness to devise an advertising slogan for them. He was given some crates of the stuff in part payment. After some weeks they checked up on him for any progress. He'd drunk the beer and come up with "Guinness: it makes you drunk" or somesuch. I say apocryphal because I suspect there may be much embellishment to this story - though it's reported in his Wikiedia page.

On the subject of the Wikipedia, I learn from the page on "apocrypha" that many religions have texts whic are considered apocyrphal. I also remember from a colleague at work some years ago that the Qur'an / Koran shares much of its text with the Bible - particularly the Old Testament. Funny how two religions based on the same text can have so much fear and loathing between them.

I'm now waiting for Yusuf Islam's new CD to be released. He must have an amazing insight to the differences between Chrisitanity and Islam. I hope it's worth listening to, as I'm going to want to buy it.

At school, when I was 10 or so we used to sing "Morning has Broken" in assembly. Funny how these little things, which seem totally insignificant at first, knit together in the end to make something meaningful.

Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day

No comments: