Monday, July 31, 2006

I'll tell me ma when I get home ...

Larks in the Park, indeed. We enjoyed an intermittently sunny Sunday afternoon lazing on the grass by the river, listening to live music and eating ice-cream. I reckon it doesn't get a lot better than that.

The band weren't bad, either - an Irish folk combo who played a Bluegrass set as a duo in the middle. To be honest they were lacking a certain something - but they did 'fess up to being one band member down. For my money, even with the missing bass section, they were a little incoherent which made their performance slightly disappointing. Having said that, they were fine to listen to and on the whole it made for a really pleasant afternoon.

My critical assessment makes me realise that a) I'm still an incurable muso, and b) I really ought to find some musical outlet now that we're settled again. I'm now being encouraged to get involved with the local folk scene. I'd like to find some contemporary folk: more like the "Fisherman's Blues" than "She walked through the Fair", if you know what I mean. I'll keep you posted.

On a slightly different note [ahem], I applaud today's announcement from the government's "The Science Select Committee": that drug classifications should be rethought. I reckon this is long overdue - and I'm pleased to see a more objective approach. I'm also interested to see that this would rate the likes of Ecstasy and LSD (currently Class A) way down the list, lower than tobacco (about the middle of the harm rating) and alcohol (which looks like it'd a class A by this assessment).

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

No comments: