Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Big wheels keep on turnin'

I can't decide whether I must've done something right somewhere along the line, or whether my dear daughter is using some kind of dastardly double-retro reverse psychology on me.

I'll explain: last night, my wife wanted to get "Proud" by Heather Small (ex M People). We decided the easiest way of doing this was to use our eldest daugter's iTunes account. This is, of course, licensed for the laptop which seems to have a permanent residence in her bedroom. [NB: there are a number of tagential threads here .. including, but not limited to the evils that are DRM and the irritating irony of a laptop which never get moved - but I'll leave those for another time.] Having found, listened to and bought the track we browsed through the collection already downloaded. Hang on .. what's this? A mistake, surely? Lynyrd Skynyrd, as clear as day: "Sweet Home Alabama".

But .. but .. that's our music! Teenagers are supposed to rebel against their parents and reject everything from their era. It's not fair!

Actually, I'm kinda impressed that my dear girl has some taste. Music is one of the few areas where we share common ground, and I get a small iota of respect (having played in a band 'n all). I'm planning on making up a CD from her collection - entitled "US College Rock" or somesuch. I've already earmarked Fountains of Wayne ("Stacey's Mom"), Wheatus ("Teenage Dirtbag") and OPM ("Heaven is a Halfpipe").

If I die before I wake ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*weeps into his copy of the NME*

Unknown said...

.. is that tears shed in pity for my poor taste in music, or shared grief over the youth of today? :^P