Monday, September 25, 2006

Stranger, stranger in a strange land ...

I've got an accent - apparently.

I went into a local aerial shop, inquiring after a new aerial so's I can get Freeview. This is, of course, irrelevent. I got chatting with the bloke there and after a little while he asked my whether I was from "round here". No, I said. I told him I was born some 30 miles away but that I grew up on the south coast. "Oh, yes", he observed, "I thought you had a bit of a twang."

A bit of a twang? Aye doon't think soo. Doock.

Meanwhile this weekend we enjoyed the fair weather and took the dog for a long walk along the track. The kids took the opportunity to vent some frustration and yell at the top of their voices how much they hate Derbyshire. To put this in context, the middle two had a chat with some old friends on the phone that morning. I guess this rakes up some feelings of displacement.

In the afternoon we (nearly) all contributed to making a good ol' Victoria Sponge - which we ate with jam and custard. Which was nice.

No comments: