Monday, September 18, 2006

And they called it puppy love ...

Car seats. Boyfriends. Weekends away. Public Performances.

So this week sees the introduction of more stringent legal requirements regarding the provision of car seats for children. When I was a kid .. we had no seatbelts in the back. Yes, yes, I know that there are certain sections of society which have to be protected from themselves .. and I know that there are more cars going faster these days .. but do we all really have to be so controlled? If they're going to make these laws I would be happier if they were enforced. What's the point, for example, when every day I see many drivers yakking on their mobile phones, weaving about on the road. I guarantee that parents will be victimised for failing to adhere to a confusing law, and business types will continue to cause a danger and flout a simple one.

Last week introduced a new phenomenon into our household. Boyfriends. Well, boyfriend singular actually. No, sorry, the daughter in question says "just a friend .. who's a boy". Rather scary either way. I mustn't grumble, though - we wanted them to fit in and make friends. (Talking of which, number one son returned from an evening out toasting "twizlers" with the Scouts full of glee, and could at least name all the kids in his patrol.)

Meanwhile, the Mrs and I somehow managed to wangle a weekend away. Without children. There is a life out there ... and we lived a little of it. It was lovely. We mooched round museums and stuff and popped into the occasional pub for a "quick drink". Anyone into art, and the likes of Picasso and Chagall would've liked an exibition by Matt Lamb.

Last night I made my debut performing a warm-up spot at my local folk club, supporting Mick Ryan and Pete Harris. I say debut: I've gigged for years in bands and doing the odd song or two, but never a "proper" solo spot before. I don't think I embarrassed myself - though I did make a few mistakes (experience is a wonderful thing .. it's amazing what you can cover up if you keep going). Fame and fortune here I come ... OK, perhaps not.

Ends.

No comments: